Living
(and Dying) Large is a paper used as an example in chapter seven. This entry
discusses football players and how they feel the need to be very large to excel
in their sport. It states that although football requires speed and strength,
the media focuses mostly on football players and their weight. NFL offensive
linemen who weigh less than three hundred pounds are considered to be “undersized”.
Due to this image, NFL players, and even younger football players, like high school
teams, feel they should be larger as well. Because of this, they are going to
unhealthy extremes to get bigger. Both the NFL players and high school players
are taking legal supplements to help increase size. In turn, some of the steps
they are taking are making them dehydrated. Long summer training camps do not
mix well with dehydration. The increase in dehydration also increases chance of
heatstroke.
I
agree that all of the statements above result in a true analysis. I have seen
people talk about how they need to be bigger and stronger and I have also seen
the extent of which they go to as well. Football players are not the only
athletes to do this. I know how it feels to be an athlete and feel like you
could do better if your body was stronger or faster. I do understand that type
of pressured feeling; however, I do not agree with the extent of which they go
to. I also know that the media makes this problem much worse too. I don’t think
athletes would feel as much pressure to be bigger or faster if it weren’t for
surrounding influences. I also don’t agree about the extent some of the
football players or other athletes go through to accomplish this. Athletics is
not worth living the rest of your life with an unfixable health issue, or even
death.
No comments:
Post a Comment