Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Chapter 19 text response
Chapter 19 discusses writing with style. Writing concisely is one of the main parts of writing with style. Writing with style has to deal with active and passive voice effectively and how wording things to specific people is important to readers. I agree that the way to get a point across to readers has much to do with how something is being said. This chapter talks about taking out pointless words and basically getting to the point of what someone is trying to say. Sentences can be extremely long that don't need to be. With that being said, taking out useless words may also help keep the reader interested. Along with that, introductions should not be filled with cliches and untrue facts. An introduction should be interesting to keep the reading wanting more. I completely agree and can relate with this because I know if I am starting to read something that if the beginning is boring, there is a high chance I will not continue reading, nor will I care about what was being said. Writers that just rant on about their topic also lose my interest because I don't feel the writing is open to various readers. Just as chapter nineteen discusses, some words and phrases can alienate some readers and that can definitely be avoided. I have felt that way when reading so I completely agree with that. This has also given me a whole new way to view my writing. Now when writing, I think of way to say things precisely without beating around the bush and adding in pointless words or redundant points.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Text response blogs should focus on the sample articles and essays within the text. Something from chapter seven that we have read and/or discussed would work.
ReplyDelete