Chapter 7 discusses analytical reading to write. Analyzing something is to break it up into parts. I recently had to analyze a philosophical entry for another class. I had a difficult time doing this because it is so tempting to just summarize something you read. Naturally, I wanted to explain what was being discussed. However, this is not what making an analysis is. An analysis involves a question, and trying to answer that question. An analysis can be made from almost any type of document. Document types may include the news, blogs, social networking, academic entries, and much more.The document I read was philosophical, therefor I felt it was a bit challenging. I don't know if it is just me or not, but the urge to just summarize came naturally. Not only was reading this philosophical argument challenging, but trying to fully comprehend it enough to analyze each piece was also a struggle. I have discovered in both Comp 110 and Philosophy, that analyzing can be either simple, or difficult depending on the document and the information within it. There can be an analysis for the news, which may not be difficult at all. On the other hand, a philosophical entry, as I have experienced, may not seem as simple to analyze. Not only is philosophical entries, or news entries analyzed, but things like Shakespeare has also been analyzed by scholars as well.
What types of documents can be thought of all day, but to be an analyzer is also part of it. Typically, when writing an academic piece, you are the informer. However, when it comes to analyzing, you are to adopt the role of interpreter. Interpreting is the same as analyzing. Meaning, that is what it is to analyze.
No comments:
Post a Comment