Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Runner Or Not

     I am not much of a long distance runner, however, I have developed an enjoyment for participating in 5k's. I recently ran the Neon Vibe 5k with my sister and we definitely had a wonderful experience. This run was my very first 5k. Saturday, September 8th 2013, was the first time it had come to Peoria. The Neon Vibe was held in the Expo Gardens starting at dusk. There was a $40 registration fee which included a tshirt, a packet of colored corn starch, and your number for the race. The money raised went to various communities and charities.
     I personally enjoy running at night anyway, so this run was great for someone like me. The race started at dusk, and each heat had approximately 250+ people. The packets of colored corn starch they provided were to be put on before the race. After that, once your heat was by the starting line, they poured more on everyone. The course had various check points that also provided more colored powder that they threw on people as they ran by. These check points were also black light so runners would glow in the dark. Everyone, including myself, was dressed up in bright neon colors which made everything look even more appealing and exciting. The course went up and down hill, through grassy area, through barns, and on black top. Running while dressed up with an enormous amount of people brings upon such a positive feeling. After the event, there was a dance floor and DJ provided as well.
     The Neon Vibe is a wonderful 5k for runners, anyone in support of charities, or just people who want to have some fun. Not only were there experienced runners, but also moms with strollers. However, if you would like to continue running, this is a wonderful run to start with. I highly recommend this to anyone. My sister and I had such an exciting experience and hopefully will be able to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment