Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"My Daughters Have No Mother"

     In chapter 21, Max Mutchnick writes a blog post in 2009 with the title "My Daughters Have No Mother". Max was the co-creator of the show Will and Grace. Throughout this post Mutchnick discusses how his daughters do not have a real mother because he refers to their surrogate as an oven. Along with this, he discusses how difficult it is to have children being gay. He refers to making children the gay way as "building a yacht". He briefly goes through various aspects of trying to have a child and what it involves or how it feels emotionally.
     Some sympathy can be had for this man because I can not imagine how it would feel to have this much struggle to have a child. On top of the assumed difficulty, there are so many people in the world to judge it or be negative toward it. Many people say that children may no develop emotionally or in any other way fully if they have two same sex parents. Now, I am not disagreeing that having two different sex genders helps a great deal. However, I do not believe that it makes gay parents incapable of raising a child. Emotionally, a child needs love, support, and understanding. If these things are provided, that is what really matters. Other gender related issues can be worked upon.
     I understand there are many outlooks concerning gay parents, and I do not disagree with all of them. I do feel though, that America could be less judgmental and harsh. I know there are pros and cons to having same gender parents, but there are also issues with two different sex parents as well. Not all parents are perfect, and gender should not be what decides that.

No comments:

Post a Comment