Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Speeches- Free Choice

Speeches are a terrible invention, especially when an entire class is based off of them. Do not get me wrong, I completely agree with being a well rounded individual or having some business and education majors requiring it, however, I plan to be a nurse. I will very rarely, if at all, have to present anything to a large group. This goes for many other majors as well. Now, if you are a business or education major, well then i hate to break it to you, but you probably should be required to take a communications class. That makes perfect sense, but why should everyone have to if it does not apply directly to one's career path. This clearly is not an equality type of debate because you do not see accounting majors or education majors taking microbiology to be "well rounded". Most of us can agree to leave that to the medical involved majors. With that being said, can we not leave this dreadful speech class to those who will utilize it more. Majors geared toward the medical field are typically tolerable of dealing with disturbing bodily functions, but put most of us in front of a class staring at us talking about something random and it does not tend to go well. Many of my nursing major friends, along with myself, are tired of speeches. I would love to understand the relevance. I do not dislike it because it does not pertain to my major, but because speeches crank up my blood pressure and nerves. I feel that most students can agree with this and empathize with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment