I considered joining the military at one point in time. Around that same time the defense secretary, Panetta, lifted the ban on
women serving front lines in the military. I personally was happy about this because I felt as though I had more options to choose from. I imagine other women felt this way as well. I have thoroughly thought this through and I support the lift of this ban
because not only does it open approximately 237,000 jobs to women, but it also
allows more opportunity to be a stronger military as a whole due to the
diversity. There are specific physical and mental requirements in every branch
for each job, such as carrying a certain amount of weight, or running a
distance in a specific amount of time, and much more. If women can meet the
same requirements that men have had to, they should be allowed to be in any
position as well. In the links I provided, there was a logical comment made about how
women have technically been serving front lines alongside the men for quite
some time anyway. On the other hand, some may say that women may weaken the
military, but how? Some men may not be as strong physically or mentally, so why
are they allowed to try for jobs, but not women? I feel that if women are given the same opportunities as men, that will also increase the amount of people choosing to join the military. With that being said, that would mean we could continue having a strong military.
You make a good point. If a women wants to attempt for a position and can meet the requirements, I say all the more power to her.
ReplyDelete